All members of the surgery team are dedicated to providing its patients with a quality health service which meets the needs and requirements of its patients.
All new patients will receive a copy of our practice leaflets and copies will be available from our reception team.
Our surgery building will be welcoming, easy for patients to find their way around and appropriate for the needs of users, including the disabled.
Patient’s Rights to General Medical Services
Patients have the rights to:
- be registered with a Doctor
- choice of Doctor they want to consult with
- be offered a health check on joining the practice
- receive urgent care at any time from the practice
- receive appropriate drugs and medicines
- be referred for specialist or second opinion, if they and the GP agree
- have the right to view their medical records in, subject to the Acts and associated procedure, and to know that those working for the NHS are under legal obligation to keep the contents confidential.
Changes to Procedures
When changes are introduced to practice procedures that affect patients, we will ensure that these are clearly explained, by means of our noticeboards, leaflets and via our website, giving patients as much notice as possible.
To ensure the best possible knowledge of your personal health, these will be signed by your usual GP wherever possible.
Urgent referrals to other health and social care agencies will be made within one working day of the patients consultation. Where requested, our GPs will refer you to a private health provider.
We will normally process non-urgent referrals within five working days of the patient consultation or the doctor’s decision to refer.
When a doctor or nurse arranges for a test to be taken the patient will be informed of how to obtain the results. Blood results are normally available after 2pm the following day. X-ray and other tests results may take up to four days to reach the practice.
Transfer of Medical Records
The Practice will endeavour to dispatch any medical record required by the Health Authority within seven working days and the same day if the request is urgent.
Privacy and Confidentiality
We will respect our patients’ privacy, dignity and confidentiality at all times.
We are unable to guarantee a specific doctor will visit you as this depends on availability and other factors. The decision to home visit will be at the doctor’s discretion.
With a Doctor for follow-up or routine consultations we will endeavour to offer patients the same day or an advanced appointment as soon as possible. For medically urgent requests, please ask a member of the Reception Team for advice.
With a Nurse all routine appointments will be offered as soon as possible for Minor Ailments the same day.
- surgeries will normally start on time
- we expect patients to be seen within twenty minutes of their appointment time, and in the event of a delay we will offer an explanation.
- when a doctor is called away on an emergency we will inform the patients and give them an opportunity to book an alternative appointment, or if preferred, to be seen by another doctor.
With these rights come responsibilities and for the patients this means:
- Courtesy to the staff at all times - remember they are working under doctor’s orders
- Responding in a positive way to questions asked by the reception team.
- To attend appointments on time or give the practice adequate notice that they wish to cancel. Someone else may need it.
- An appointment is for one person only - where another member of the family needs to be seen or discussed, another appointment should be made.
- Patients should make every effort when consulting the surgery to make best use of nursing and medical time - home visits should be medically justifiable and not requested for social convenience.
- Patients are asked to give 3 full working days notice for repeat prescriptions, please give us this time as it allows for accurate prescribing
- Out-of-hours calls e.g. evenings, nights and weekends should only be used if they are felt to be truly necessary by call 111 free from mobile or landlines.